Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's Always Fun...

...when you can shock your doctor. I went to see Dr. Hershon for my 4th post-op visit on Tuesday (POD 69) and he was amazed by my progress.

He asked me to take off my shirt and move my arm and I mimicked his motion. Then he asked me to lift my arms straight up in front of me to observe my front flexion and when I threw both my hands up in the air, his eyes bugged out of his head!!! Internal Rotation Test Then he tested me further and asked me to put my left hand behind my back to test my internal rotation. Again, he was shocked that I was able to almost get my thumb up to my scapula.  "That's the one most people have trouble with." he said. He told me he was very pleased and that he was not so happy with my progress the last time I was there. I told him that the external rotation was the thing that still needed the most work and he assured me it would get there. He also told me that high end athletes (obviously, not me) have a really hard time with this injury because it takes a long time to get back to full function and most of them are unwilling or unable to wait.

He gave me another prescription to extend my PT, shook my hand, told me to keep up the good work and go back to see him in 6-8 weeks.

No comments: