Monday, April 7, 2008

PT Update 2 - Post Op Week 5

Well, the PT train is running is running fast and furious. I'm at least one entry behind where I should be but only one exercise was added the last time around so it is not really that bad but things have been moving so quickly that I've kind of lost track of dates so you'll have to forgive my lack of time frames. I'll try to take better notes going forward.

So, the last time I mentioned that they had added the hand bike,front raises, scapular retraction and shrugs to our routine. About a week later David, once again, threw some more exercises at me. The list has gotten so long that I had to put a note on my Blackberry so I could keep track of what I was doing during my sessions.

This time around the following exercises were added: biceps curls, internal rotation, rear extensions, wall climbs and ball stabilization. That's 5 new exercises on top of my already lengthy schedule at the clinic so that has kicked my time there up to almost two hours there!!!!

Biceps curls are a pretty standard exercise that most people have done at some point but most people don't realize that the biceps play a part in the shoulder anatomy. The biceps tendon anchors right near the glenohumeral complex and can become dislodged or damaged by dislocations. According to my surgical report my biceps tendon was healthy and undamaged but I still need to build strength in it to aid in the rehabilitation of my shoulder. That is happening in the form of 4 pound dumbbells and, while I won't be winning Mr. Universe any time soon, it is helping the arm.

The faithful readers will know the difference between internal rotation and external rotation. The internal rotation exercises consists of my taking a red thera-band in my left hand and while holding a rolled up towel under my arm rotate my arm internally away from where the thera-band is tied to a piece of equipment. Like all my exercises the routine is 3 sets of 10 reps.


 

 

 

 

 

 

I also added rear extensions to the fray. That consists of standing with my arm by my side and holding a yellow thera-band in my hand while anchored to a fixed point. I then move my hand backward past the plane of my body from the shoulder joint. This helps to strengthen the anterior deltoid. Again, three sets of 10.


Wall climbs are a pretty standard range of motion exercise for shoulder recovery. It is, quite literally, what it's name implies. In this case, I use a towel to reduce friction against the wall and I slide my hand up the wall in front of me to help front flexion and stretch out those tight tendons.

The last thing that was added this time around was the ball stabilizations. This exercise is getting to be one of my favorites because I really feel it. I hold a small, weighted ball that looks like a dodge ball but is about the size of a cantaloupe against the wall at shoulder level against the wall. I then make small rotations from the shoulder and do that for about 30 seconds. It is supposed to help loosen the shoulder capsule and aid range of motion. I just think it's fun.

Two visits after those 5 exercises were added I had one more thrown at me. This one is shoulder adduction and I use the yellow thera-band for this. I hold the band in my left hand out to my side at shoulder level and then bring it across so my hand is out in front of me with my elbow held straight. I always confuse adduction with abduction but Dana (Physical Therapy Assistant) told me that she remembers it by thinking that adduction comes toward your body like you're adding something to your body. So far, that seems to be helping me remember. The adduction is going to help build strength in the pectorals major muscle, which also has a part in the shoulder function.

One last note...I have a follow up appointment with Dr. Hershon I'm curious to hear what he'll have to say about my progress. The progress notes David gave me indicate that I'm doing "very well." I'll post again after my appointment to fill you in.

No comments: